Tuesday, March 26, 2013

From the Land of HAVASU



I am getting settled in quite nicely in a little town called Lake Havasu City. I'm about 2 and a half hours out side of Vegas in Arizona. I'm in the hottest area of the mission, but don't worry... We are having a "cool" week. It's only 85ish today!! It's supposed to get up to 120 in June and stay there for a couple months. Word on the street is this is the number two spot for spring breakers, so woo! The past two weeks have been so crazy!! I am happy to be here and I am in love with being a misionary!
Let me tell you first about my MTC district. There were three sets of sister, and three sets of elders. One set of each is stationed in Anchorage, AK and the rest of us are here in the Celestial Kingdom of Las Vegas. My companion was Sister Barth from Maryland. She is SO AWESOME! She joined the church in October 2011 at the age of 23 and now she is on a mission! What a beast, huh? She has one of the most solid testimonies I have ever heard!! She spoke in Relief Society (the largest to ever be held, ever, of about 1300 sister in one room.. There were a lot of tears. HA) and shared her conversion story. It was awesome. The spirit was so strong. She taught me so much. I wish I could put into words the way that I love her. It's amazing how the Lord helps us through everything and anything.
Elder  Clemens (Anchorage) is the funniest kid you will ever meet. He giggle like none other and the way he shares the gospel with such enthusiasm is so inspiring.

Elder Calaway (Vegas) reminds me a lot of Eli. Besides the fact that they are both talk, dark, and boys Elder Calaway spoke with such demand of attention with such ease he is an amazing leader.
Elder Tingey (Anchorage) is such a smart kid. He has such conviction! He put in his papers when he was 19 but he is autistic so they said no. He did everything is took, including two mini-missions, to get himself in the field and HERE HE IS! What a great Kid.
Elder Stewart (Vegas) has ten siblings!! He talks so higly of his family you can tell he loves them. He recalls gospel information so well.
Elder Kilgour (Vegas) is FROM AUSTRALIA! (I made fun of him a lot... OLROIGHT?) He has such a bomb spirit. He isn't a man of many words, but when he speak it is deep and inspiring... This kid is 18. Swag! He is one of the reasons the age changed. He is such a good missionary.
Elder Harston (Vegas) is like me but a BOY! It was so weird, we are so similar. But this kid is going to be an apostle one day I swear. He is so scripture smart, and confident, and willing to help ANYONE with anything.
THE ELDERS IN MY DISTRICT are some of the greatest men I have met. It is crazy. I had no idea that there were so many good guys out there. The MTC is full of them. I loved the spirit and constant comfortable, warm feeling I had there. It was weird having to leave but I am glad to be in the field.
Sister Schenk (Vegas) SCHENK THE TANK (yes it rhymes) would wake up and do push up and sit up for a half hour then come out of the shower looking beautiful. She was educated in the scriptures!!
Sister Maggert (Vegas) and i had met on Facebook before we reported, so we instantly hugged and I felt like I had known her for years. She is so loving and caring and she has such grace, especially when talking about gospel principals.
Sister Washington (Alaska) id really good at relating to people. She seemed to always have a story that related to someone. This girl is so peppy!!
Sister Hewwit (Alaska) is from Las Vegas, kinda funny. She had a lot to say about where to go and family that would feed us. She is so bubbly and happy all the time, and she is really good at putting her thoughts into words and bearing a powerful testimony.
THE SISTERS IN MY DISTRICT were just that, my sisters. We got so close. It was hard to imaging not being with them the whole time. We got along so easily and so quickly. It was weird, but a good weird. Our female teacher, Sister Card, fit right in with us also. She was such a loving inspiration. Our whole group was divinely designed, I have no doubt about it.



THIS TRANSFER IN HAVASU... I am in the Crossman Peak Ward. I was going to try to not tell anyone in the field that I sing but someone in my MTC district volunteered me to sing at a training meting the first full day we were there, and someone who was there from this area volunteered me to sing at a Fireside my first Sunday. WOO. So much for that plan. But whatever. I had fun. I know that I feel the spirit strongest when I have music.
SO I am in a desert here, and that means there are two places that have grass; the rich kid golf course, and the ONE house on Rainbow Avenue that obviously doesn't care about the drought. I like those people. ;) BUT THERE ARE PALM TREES HERE!! It's pretty awesome.

I have spent this past week trying to catch up to my companion, Sister Berger. She is pretty sweet, and an amazing example. I am excited to learn more from her. We eat every dinner at a members home and I learn a lot about the ward there. I am catching up quick.
I don't know what to write about because it all feels normal to me, so I don't know what to say. Does that kind of make sense?
 I am so happy to be here, to be doing this. I would not want to be anywhere else. I am so happy! I love the church, I love the gospel, and I love my Father in Heaven and my brother Jesus Christ. I am privileged to be a part of this army. How great is my calling!!!!
All my love,
Sister Fields

No comments:

Post a Comment