Monday, April 29, 2013

Burros are not small donkeys



This week it hasn't gotten much below 100* degrees. Natives just barely stared wearing shorts. I think it is so hot. No more makeup or hair done. Yay for pony tails!! :) Luckily I have all my Paparazzi hair things to look cute-ish. 

I had an awesome experience with a little boy this week. We street contacted a man named Brian. He is a friendly, young dad. We told him how the gospel will bless his family and he seemed really interested. He told us about his wife, Sienna, and his two kids, Jeremiah and Bryelle. When we went back to teach and the B said S wasn't home so we rescheduled for two-ish days later. Before we left J ran out (about 5, maybe 6) and hugged my legs. "I love them, Daddy," he squealed. "Don't let them leave." His dad just ushered him in and told him we will be back.
When we came back for our appointment S answered the door, looked at us and slammed it shut. (#heartbroken) and yelled "OBVIOUSLY YOU CAN'T SEE THE SIGN!" Okay, lady... We are missionaries. We aren't selling anything... J came to the door crying.
"Mommy, they were here the other day. Let them in." 
She said that we are "bad Mormons" and that "pastor grandma would be mad if we let them in."
We just stood there stunned. Children are the least trusting of anything. If my child embraced someone at my door step I would at least want to hear what they have to say. I know that boy will be able to find the true gospel when he gets older. Maybe I'll be part of his conversion story one day. Until then.... We'll knock on their door again in a month. :P

This last week we also had Zone Conference. Sister Berger and I are the only sister missionaries out of Valley, meaning not IN Las Vegas. Our ZC was in Kingman. It's about and hour or an hour and a half away. So crazy. So we drove up there and it was like a SPIRITUAL FEAST!! I loved what Sister Neider (our mission president's wife) said about putting our whole selves in. I have 18 months to serve and the rest of eternity to look back on it. So I might as well make every day unforgettable!! :) I have changed my whole perspective on missionary work. I am going to be a leader, a helper, someone who loves. I am going to be the best I can be. I'm only gonna do this once when I am young. So I want to do it the best!! :) WOO!! In district meeting we talked about praying for miracles and we have definitely seen that work! :) Everything works out according to the Lord's timing. So I just stay worthy and hopeful and work hard, and wait for him to give me people to find and to teach.

Last Sunday we had a less-active sister in ARP (Addiction Recovery Program) come to church after being gone for a year and a half. She brought her friend, Jenny, and J's twin 6 year olds.  We talked to her and she expressed how she wanted to learn more about how to be the best for God. We taught her about the Restoration and the Book of Mormon on Tuesday, and she said she would read it every day for the rest of her life. She asked really good questions and genuinely payed attention to what we had to say. At the end of the lesson we asked her if she would prepare herself for baptism. She said yes. We told her we were holding a baptismal service on May 11th, she said she wants to be baptized that day. She said that she felt the spirit in the room and she wants to be a Mormon. OKAY MIRACLE> HELLO. It was so awesome to see someone so prepared to recieve the truth. She is going to be a better mother, sister, daughter, friend, and woman because of her decision to follow God. WOW. I feel like I just bare my testimony over and over in these emails. Whatever... :)

We had a Sister's Luncheon in Vegas on Thursday. (Side note: I have been to Vegas 6 times since being here. that is 30 hours of driving. woo...) They announced a new Sister Training Leader program. Like a Zone or District Leader the STL will be implemented into the program starting next transfer... which is tomorrow. SO! Wanna know what's happening to me? 

<<<<<<<<DRUM ROLL PLEASE>>>>>>>>

I am training. I am a 19 year old Sister Missionary. I haven't even been out on a mission for 2 months and I am training someone who get off the plane from the MTC Wednesday. Woo the Mission President must trust me. Not to brag but... I feel cool. It's such an honor! And to train so quickly being out. Wow. I am blessed. I am staying in Lake Havasu, and Sister Berger is going to train and be an STL!! SHE IS A TANK! What a beast missionary. I just love her. Thinking about leaving her makes me want to cry. I could have never been a missionary without her... And she is such a good example to me. I feel like she is really my sister!! :) Oh she is so good to me. I know we will be friends forever. I am grateful the Lord has blessed me with her in my life. Okay, I'm done saying how ridiculously good of a missionary she is. 

Last P-Day we went to Oatman. Long story short, Burros are not small donkeys. They are BIG DONKEYS AND THEY SCARE ME. And they kick. And I had to run from one. Elder Solarzano and Elder Ball hit it so it wouldn't keep chasing me. Needless to say I stopped feeding those greedy little things. But I bought you something, family. You will love it :) I'm going to put it in the mail soon. Time certainly flies faster than superman while you are on a mission! This morning we went on a hike with the Jensons and Elder Solarzano and Elder Moreno. It was a little down a small creek. Yeah, it's a million degrees outside. The creek was dried up, no joke. But I got a few shells. And it was nice to see a little greenery. :) I love getting out of the houses. It's a nice change of pace. :)

OH! AND KIEL IS GETTING BAPTIZED JUNE 7TH!!! The whole congregation will probably be there because he knows EVERYONE! :P

Priesthood power keeps me safe.

Our ward is having a Luau on May 18th. And the Kilauli's are going to sing and dance. 

I don't know why I wrote this down but "I have made a little home in my heart" is on my notes. So... yeah. 

Our WML Brother Hauck and his wife are the awesome-est people ever!

And... yup. I'm training. It's been a good week! :) I love being a missionary! :) :) :) :) 


HUGS FROM HAVASU! 
Sister Fields :)

No comments:

Post a Comment