Monday, July 29, 2013

Finally in Vegas after 4.5 months of being in the Vegas mission. #weird



I packed up my whole life in Lake Havasu City, and felt like a had all my things but was leaving everything behind. It was a odd thing but I knew that our Mission President is inspired with all the calls he makes. I was battling myself in my head about what kind of attitude I was going to have. I didn't know if I was supposed to be disappointed about leaving or excited to be here, or both... or neither. I just kind of pretended like everything was going to be the same. Honestly, when I found out I was going to be training in a singles ward... I got down on myself. Two things I really didn't know how to do. But this is the best!! We had a baptism this past week and we have two next week. Things are so much faster paced. In Havasu we could have a 45 minute street contact that could turn into a baptismal commitment. Here people want to schedule weeks in advance. I guess I just have to leave Havasu behind.
I will always miss Sister Pence. I KNOW that we will be best friends forever. She is the person I would drive cross-country to be with for a weekend movie premiere. I can't wait until Gretel, Courtney and Nicole meet her. They would love her. They probably already do. :) Sister Pence is my other half, I believe. She was sent to me through inspired means. And because of that I am grateful for her. She taught me things that I could never have learned from anyone besides Rebekah Estoria Pence.
I said good bye to Sister Wheatley on Tuesday... That was difficult. She said she doesn't want any other missionaries. She feels like we were the people prepared to bring the gospel back into her life. That kind of makes me sad. I want everyone to know that a missionary, no matter who they are if they are obedient, they can teach with the same power. But also... I love her. I feel like I talked to her before this Earth. Actually, I would bet on it. She feels like a sister. I pray every night that she remembers to read the scriptures, and I want her as part of my family in my wedding. Seriously, every time we stopped in to see her I felt like I needed to be there for years... It is an unexplainable feeling that comes from being a missionary. She and I are like two peas in a long lost pod. She hugged me good bye and as we cried she said "I knew you would be the one that had to bring the spirit back into my life... But I didn't know I would fall in love with you." That broke my heart and melted it all at the same time.
There are members of our church who are lost who only need a friend. I want to be there for EVERYONE. Gah, I feel like I never have enough time for missionary work but we are working all day. There could be missionaries on every block and they would have work to do. WHAT A BLESSING.

NOW let me tell you about Sister Cassie Coltrin.
She is about 5'4" for those who are curious about her height. I know Eli and I talked about how I need to tell him all the heights of my companions. She is from Michigan, and she is super awesome. We like the same kinds of music ( of course, mission appropriate music) and we like the same kind of food. I love her attitude about the gospel. I love that she is so enthusiastic about sharing and how she is so forward with leaving people commitments. I love to know that she has always got my back. She supports the things I say. I think I need to do that better. I need to testify of my companion's power and truth behind her words. I will work on that. :)

This Elder in front of me just said "Oh, you're sisters.. so you do whatever you want." He's just jealous we can wear skirts I am sure. I just creep-ed on his name tag. It's Elder Parkinson. Apparently we aren't supposed to email here because of our zone. Considering we cover the YSA's of his zone, I'm gonna finish my email. :)
This area is wonderful. The people here are so awesome. I loved being in church and seeing all the members flock to fellowship new people.  I love the enthusiasm that recently returned missionaries have. Our ward mission leader is BOSS. His name is Brother Cox... well, Jake. This is a single's ward so people go by their first names. That will take some adjusting. Or I could just change it... :) The area is giant, and it covers the mountains by the temple up to the strip. All the people we teach here want to be missionaries! It is so awesome, they ask how much it costs and when they would be able to go. They bare their testimony to me on how much they think going on a mission would influence their family. Hmm... I wonder how much it does. I just want you all to know I pray blessings to you everyday. I miss you a lot, but this is THE BEST.

This morning we woke up at 3:30 to hike the Sunrise Mountain and a Sunrise Zone to watch the sunrise. It was pretty spectacular. I will send pictures home next week, I just forgot my camera. :)
I love you all.
Smiles from Sunrise!! :)
Sister Fields

No comments:

Post a Comment